I’m really excited to have Jeff Goins on this week’s episode of Story Signals. Jeff is a writer, speaker, and teacher who has had a big influence on me and my own writing. In fact, his blog, GoinsWriter.com, was one of the first places I landed to learn about writing and the bigger picture of connecting through a blog. Since that day in 2011, I’ve always received good advice from Jeff, whether online or in-person, and it’s my pleasure to have him on Story Signals.
If you’re joining us at Story Signals for the first time, welcome! The show focuses on lessons we can learn on living with purpose, clarity, and meaning. There are several ways to subscribe and listen, including on your smartphone or computer. Check out your options here.
Jeff’s circle of influence has grown exponentially since I began learning from him, and the world is a better place for it. He describes himself as a writer who helps other writers succeed. In fact, if you’re looking for a free writing/blogging class, Jeff’s Intentional Blogging course is a great way to start. He generously shares his experience and expertise with everyone, and I simply know Jeff’s class will change how you write and connect with people.
Back to the interview… Jeff shares so many good lessons and tips for us, and I can’t wait for you to hear it. We cover topics like creativity, contribution, boring times, dealing with failure and success, overcoming inner battles, and so much more. But to me, three lessons really stood out.
What You’ll Learn
- You have a responsibility to steward and serve others through your unique gifts, and how to find areas to do this in.
- Don’t reject yourself before even beginning the conversation with someone. How often do we give up and reject ourselves before the interaction happens? Simply present yourself or your idea in an honest and open way, and see what happens!
- Life is not about you. This is such an important lesson, but so easy for us to ignore and forget! We feel the need to take what’s ours, and look out for number one. But instead of going in to a situation thinking “what can I get?” think “what can I give?” I believe you’ll see your relationships and interactions change, and your needs still met.
It’s your life’s task to be who you are
Find something obvious to you and share it with others
You were born to create something, and that is your life, the story you are writing of your life
- The In-Between
- You Are a Writer
- Jeff’s Intentional Blogging Course
- Jeff’s interview with Steven Pressfield
- Amy Cuddy’s TED talk
- The Age of Unreason
- The Alchemist
Where to Connect
Help Story Signals hit iTunes New & Noteworthy!
Want to help Story Signals hit the front page of iTunes podcasts? Here are 3 quick ways to help.
- If you think Story Signals is deserving, leave a 5 star rating on iTunes or Stitcher. Click here for iTunes, and click “View in iTunes” – “Reviews & Ratings” – “Write a Review” (see the screenshots). For Stitcher, click here.
- Subscribe and download the Story Signals podcast! You’ll get each episode delivered the best way for you, whether through iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, or something else. Here’s the ultimate list of resources to get started.
- Share with a friend! I would be very appreciate of your recommendations to family, friends, and social networks. If you mention me, @MattRagland, or @StorySignals on Twitter, I’ll be sure and retweet the share! Just share StorySignals.com – StorySignals.com/itunes – StorySignals.com/stitcher.